Chris Brown has been ordered to remain in jail until 23 April following his second ejection from an anger management programme in Malibu. Despite the pleas of Brown’s attorney, judge James Brandlin ruled that the singer must stay behind bars until a ruling can be made on whether he violated the terms of his probation.
Brown has been in and out of rehab since November, seeking treatment for anger management while completing community service duty for his 2009 assault of Rihanna. He was first kicked out of the program after just two weeks, when the 24-year-old threw a rock through his mother’s car window following a family therapy session. He returned shortly thereafter and appeared to be making progress: “[Chris is] able to use behavioural strategies to manage acting out on impulses”, the program director said earlier this month. “Our clinical team believes ... [he] acted out physically due to [an] untreated mental health disorder, severe sleep deprivation, inappropriate self-medicating and [post-traumatic stress disorder].”
That changed last week. Per judge Brandlin, Brown violated the rehab programme’s rules by reportedly failing to take a drug test, making threats, and touching a woman at the centre. He was arrested on Friday and kept in jail over the weekend.
In court yesterday, Brown’s attorney complained that Brown’s violations don’t warrant jail without bail. According to the LA Times, Mark Geragos contested the allegation that Brown had failed a drug test and claimed that “the only touching ... involved the elbows of a female”. Although he did not deny that Brown had boasted, in a morning reflection session, about his skills “[with] guns and knives”, he said that Brown should not have to censor himself during therapy.
Brown’s fate rests, in large part, on the outcome of a trial in Washington, DC, which is due to begin on 17 April. He is accused of attacking a 20-year-old student who tried to take his photograph last October .
While Brown’s sixth album, X, is still penciled-in for May 2014, his new single has been officially postponed. Don’t Be Gone Too Long, a duet with Ariana Grande, will no longer come out on 24 March. “Obviously some things have changed recently,” Grande tweeted yesterday. “My duet partner isn’t available at the moment to put the song out with me.” A new release date has yet to be confirmed – Guardian.